3 lb. inside skirt steak trimmed
1 oz. lime juice
1 cup onions, sliced
0.25 cup Worcestershire sauce
6 oz. beer
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed
Seasoning for meat
2 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. black pepper
2 whole tomatoes
1 whole red onion, sliced
1 Serrano pepper
1 Poblano pepper
1 Food Prep
Trim all the silver skin and excess fat off the skirt steak.
- Place the steak in a large, resealable plastic bag, and add all the ingredients for the marinade. Refrigerate and marinate for 12–24 hours.
- Remove steak from marinade and apply seasoning 1 hour before cooking.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Charcoal Briquets with Mesquite for bold and smoky wood flavor.
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 400°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Next, place the steak on the grate directly above the coals, and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- Then, place the steak on the cooler side of the grate, and cook for about 10–15 minutes.
- While grilling the steak, preheat the cast iron skillet with 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Char the veggies for 2–3 minutes, directly over the coals. Then remove them from the fire and give them a rough chop.
- Place the veggies in the cast iron skillet, and sear for 2–3 more minutes. Then, remove the cast iron skillet from the grill.
- Slice the avocados in half and remove pits. With a spoon, scoop the avocado meat out of the skins and place it in a medium-size bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of sea salt and the juice squeezed from 1 lime. Smash the avocado with a fork and mix it up with the salt and lime juice.
- Remove the steak from the grill when it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F on a digital meat thermometer.
- Slice the skirt steak against the grain.
- Heat the corn tortillas on the grill, then make the fajitas with the meat, roasted veggies and guacamole.
- Squeeze juice from the remaining limes onto the fajitas to taste.
** Cooking times are approximate and based on a 1” steak, including sear time.
Recipes containing alcohol are intended for those 21 years of age and older only. Please drink responsibly.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.