2.5 lb. chicken wings (whole, or drums and flats)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. chipotle powder
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 Food Prep
Place your chicken wings into a large resealable bag, then add the oil, spices and salt. Mix it well to combine and thoroughly coat your wings, then seal the bag and refrigerate it for 1–3 hours.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: Charcoal
Kingsford® Signature Flavors Briquets with Chili and Cumin are perfect to add an extra flavor to this recipe. Alternatively you can add 6 or more Kingsford® Signature Flavors Briquets with Chili and Cumin to your Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets and still get a flavor boost.
The spicy flavors of Kingsford® Signature Flavors Pellets with Chili and Cumin are a great choice for this recipe.
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: Charcoal Temp: 400°F (Medium Heat) / Pellets Temp: 275°F
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
If using Kingsford® Signature Flavors Briquets or Kingsford Original® and Flavor Boosters
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your chicken wings on the grate, directly over the coals and discard the remaining marinade. Cook your wings for 1-3 minutes, then flip your wings and cook for another 1-3 minutes. At this stage, your chicken wings should be browning and developing color, so flip your wings earlier if they appear to burn.
- Transfer your browned wings to the cooler side of the grate, then close the lid and let your chicken finish cooking until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. This should take approximately 15–20 minutes, depending on the size of your wings.
- Remove your wings from the grill, allow them to rest for a few minutes and serve.
If using Kingsford® Signature Flavors Pellets
- Place the thermometer probe into the thickest part of your chicken wings, without touching any bones.
- Place your chicken wings into the pellet grill, spacing them out to allow for maximum flavor absorption. Cook your wings until they reach an internal temperature of 175° F. This should take approximately 45–60 minutes.
- If a deeper brown color is desired, you can turn the pellet grill up to 450° F for the last 10 minutes of the cook to encourage browning.
- When your wings are ready, remove them from the grill and allow them to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe created by Hardcore Carnivore Jess Pryles on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.