Skip to content
Chicago-Style Char Dogs
Write a Review
- 4 all-beef hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup bright green sweet pickle relish
- ½ small white onion, diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 4 dill pickle spears
- pickled sport peppers, to taste
- celery salt, to taste
- Build a charcoal fire for direct grilling using Kingsford® Original Charcoal, and preheat to 400°F. Lightly oil the grates to prevent sticking.
- Butterfly hot dogs by slicing them lengthwise without cutting all the way through. Open gently so they lay flat on the grill.
- Cook for about 2–3 minutes on each side, until charred in spots and hot throughout. For your safety, please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures.
- While the grill is heating and the hot dogs are cooking, grill the buns quickly over direct heat until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Place one hot dog in each bun, and top with a quarter of the mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, and one pickle spear. Add sport peppers, to taste, and sprinkle with celery salt.
- Repeat with remaining hot dogs and serve immediately.
- Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com.