Skip to content
Basque Txuleton Steak
Write a Review
- 2 txuleta (T-bone steaks), about 1½-inches thick
- coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- About 1–2 hours before you’re ready to cook the steaks, take them out of the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature. Season well with salt and about 30 minutes before cooking, and rub with cracked pepper and some of the olive oil right before you put it on the grill.
- Build a charcoal fire for both direct and indirect cooking using Kingsford® Charcoal by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Close the grill lid and preheat to 450°F. Brush grill grate with oil.
- Rub the red pepper halves with olive oil, place on the grill and cook until the skins are blackened, about 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rest for at least 10 minutes, then scrape off and discard skins. Cut peppers into thin strips. Warm any remaining olive oil in a pan, over the indirect side of the grill. Add garlic and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have come together. Set aside.
- Place steak directly on the grill and cook over direct heat for about 5–7 minutes per side for medium rare/medium, or until done to your liking. Remove from heat. Cut the steak off along the bond and then cut into thin strips. Finish with coarse sea salt and serve with the red peppers. Enjoy!