4 skirt steaks
coarse salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Food Prep
First, remove your steaks from the refrigerator and let them reach room temperature — around 30 minutes.
- Next, trim excess fat to avoid flare-ups and peel away any tough pieces of membrane.
- Finally, liberally apply coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, flip the steaks and repeat.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Professional Charcoal Briquets for their high heat, low ash performance.*n
*Compared to Kingsford® Original Charcoal
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 450° to 500°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your steaks directly above the coals and sear for 2 to 3 minutes total, per side. With skirt steak, we like to break from standard protocol by flipping frequently to achieve a good crust.
- While your steaks are still on the grill, insert a digital meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
- When they’re a few degrees away from your goal temp, remove them from the grill — the temperature will continue to rise after they’re removed from the grill. The USDA recommends cooking steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F on a digital meat thermometer.
- Place steaks on a cutting board, loosely cover with aluminum foil and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- When slicing your steak, make sure you slice against the grain — the opposite direction of how the muscle fibers run. Serve and enjoy!
** Cooking times are approximate and based on a 1” steak, including sear time.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.