4 thick-cut filets
coarse salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Food Prep
First, remove your filets from the refrigerator and let them reach room temperature — this should take around 30 minutes. Finally, liberally apply coarse salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides of your filets.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets.
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 550 – 650°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- Fully open all vents on your grill.
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your filets directly above the coals and sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side. To ensure perfect grill marks, resist the urge to move the steak while cooking. Close the lid to prevent flare-ups.
- Once your filets are seared, move them to the cooler side of the grate and close the lid.
- Using a digital instant-read meat thermometer, check the internal temperature of your steaks while they’re still on the grill. When your filets are 5º below your ideal internal temperature, pull them from the grill, and cover them loosely with aluminum foil.
- Allow them to rest for 5 minutes to allow the temperature to continue rising to your ideal internal temperature. Serve as is or top your filet mignon with your favorite garlic and herb butter.
** Cooking times are approximate and based on a 1 ½” Angus beef filet.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.