20 lb. fresh-cut beef oxtails
2 cup Worcestershire sauce
32 oz. beef stock
0.5 cup kosher salt
0.5 cup black pepper
0.5 cup paprika
0.5 cup granulated garlic
2 liters Dr Pepper
1 bag Kingsford® Charcoal
heavy-duty foil & large foil pans
3 post oak sticks
2 pecan wood sticks
1 Food Prep
*A cherry cola with bold licorice, citrusy and/or vanilla notes works great in this recipe. Prepare the beef oxtails by slightly trimming the heavier fat with a sharp knife and discard.
- Combine your dry ingredients to make your dry rub blend. Place your trimmed beef oxtails into a large container, adding Worcestershire sauce and mixing well with the rub blend.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: The Charcoal Snake
- Temp: 350°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Let your beef oxtails smoke for 1–2 hours, turning carefully every 30–40 minutes to ensure proper cooking on all sides.
- When the beef oxtails become crispy, colorful and cooked through, pull them off of your grill and place them evenly in a doubled up large foil pan. This will hold the weight of the oxtails for the braising method.
- Pour the beef stock and soda over the oxtails in the foil pan. Cover tightly with heavy-duty foil. Place back on your grill at a lower temperature of 300–325°F and smoke for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove your oxtails from the grill and use the juices in the pan to glaze the beef oxtails or lightly stir in the juices.
- Serve your oxtails whole.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.