1 5-lb whole chicken
Red Pepper Sauce:
3 tbsp red pepper paste
3 tbsp honey
1 cup orange juice
1 tsp sage powder
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp black pepper
1 Food Prep
First, in a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the red pepper sauce and mix well. Then reserve half the sauce in a sealed container for basting.
- Next, cut down one side of the chicken’s backbone. Open the chicken gently. Press down on the ribs and fully open the chicken. Then, transfer the chicken to the bowl where the red pepper sauce was mixed. Mix the sauce well, all over the chicken, then place the whole chicken in a large, resealable plastic bag to marinate for at least 7 hours.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator at least 45 minutes before roasting.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- Arrange the coals along either side of the grill with a void in the middle.
- Place an aluminum pan filled with about ½” of water in the empty space.
- Place the chicken on the grill (directly above the pan of water), breast side up with the thighs inverted inward.
- Use the reserved red pepper sauce to baste the surface of the chicken every 10 minutes until the sauce runs out.
Cook the chicken for 1 hour and 45 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F on a digital meat thermometer.
- Once done, carefully lift the chicken off the grill.
Transfer the chicken to a sheet pan lined with a rack, breast side up, and let the it rest for 10 minutes.
- Then place the chicken on a cutting board or platter, carve and enjoy.
Recipe created by Chef Ronaldo Linares, on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.