2 lb. beef top round
0.5 cup sour cream
0.5 cup mayonnaise
0.5 cup prepared hot horseradish, drained
0.5 tsp. kosher salt
0.25 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
6 hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls
1 sweet white onion, thinly sliced
2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
iceberg lettuce (optional)
1 Food Prep
Sprinkle rub all over your meat, patting it in. Place your seasoned beef on a plate or in a baking dish and cover it with plastic wrap. You can let the rub marinate for a few hours, but for maximum flavor, leave it for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator, turning once a day.
- For your horseradish sauce, mix together your sour cream, mayonnaise and horseradish in a small bowl. Season it with ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper and refrigerate it for at least a few hours.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 400°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your beef on the oiled grate, turning often and cook it until the outside has a nice, dark brown bark and the internal temperature reaches your desired doneness.*
- When your beef is done cooking, transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing. Cut the beef very thinly across the grain, then divide it and pile it onto your rolls.
- Garnish each sandwich with sliced onion, tomato and lettuce, if you’d like. Spoon on a few tbsp. of the horseradish sauce and you’re ready to eat!
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.