1 salmon fillet or fillet portions
1 lemon, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon white or brown sugar
2 tablespoons BBQ rub
1 Food Prep
First, lay the salmon skin-side down on a cutting board. Then, run your fingertips along the length of the salmon filet and feel for pin bones. Use kitchen pliers or tweezers to remove pin bones you may find and discard.
- Next, to remove scales, flip the fish over so the flesh side is down. Using a flexible knife like a filet knife or a boning knife, use the non-sharpened side to remove the scales by running it along the skin against the grain of the scales pattern.
- Then, combine the ingredients for the brine. Sprinkle about 25% of the brine on the skin side of the salmon filet and 75% on the flesh side, and allow the fish to dry brine for 20-30 minutes. Then, wash the brine and juices from the filet and pat dry.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Hardwood Pellets
- Temp: 215°F
3 The Cook
- Place the thermometer probe into the thickest part of the salmon, and position it at the center of your pellet grill.
Smoke the salmon until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F, which should take about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Serve your salmon immediately off the grill, or allow it to cool uncovered in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
- Garnish with lemon and enjoy.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.