0.5 cup Korean red pepper paste (gochujang)
0.25 cup rice vinegar
0.25 cup sugar
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp. grated ginger
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. sesame oil
chili flakes and ground black pepper, to taste
1.5 cup shredded green Napa cabbage or other cabbage
0.25 cup sliced scallions
0.5 cup shredded carrots
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
12 6-inch flour or corn tortillas, warmed
lime wedges, for garnish
1 Food Prep
In a large bowl, mix together your marinade ingredients until well combined. Add your chicken and toss well to coat evenly. Cover and marinate your chicken in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- For your slaw, start by mixing together your vinaigrette ingredients until well combined. Add your vinaigrette to your cabbage, scallions, carrots and cilantro, and toss. Only add a little vinaigrette at a time; you may not want to use all of the dressing. Set aside until you’re ready to serve.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Remove your chicken from the marinade and place it onto the grate. Cook your chicken for 6–8 minutes on each side until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. Then, move your chicken to a cutting board and slice thinly.
- Warm your tortillas on the grill, flipping them once after 30 seconds.
- To assemble, fill your tortillas with chicken and top with slaw. Serve immediately with lime wedges for squeezing.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.