1 tbsp. olive oil
1 can black beans, drained
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pkg. flour tortillas
1 small onion, sliced into rings
2 large jalapeños
2 cup high-quality or homemade salsa
2 ripe Haas avocados, sliced lengthwise for serving
2 cup grated pepper jack cheese OR queso fresco
1 lime, use the juice to squirt on the avocado so they don’t turn brown
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 Food Prep
First, combine the black beans and chopped garlic in a pot, and reserve.
- Next, slice the onion into rings, slice the avocados lengthwise for serving, and squirt them with the juice of the lime so they don’t turn brown.
- Finally, grate the cheese. Set each of these items aside separately.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Charcoal with Hickory to take your BBQ flavor up a notch.
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 350°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- Add your griddle or grill-safe pan or skillet to the grate.
- When you’re at temp, drizzle olive oil on the griddle surface, crack your eggs and let them cook until over easy.
- Place the pot with the black beans and chopped garlic on the grill.
- Toast the tortillas on the cool side of the grill.
- Cook the onions on the griddle or grill-safe pan or skillet until they caramelize.
- Add the jalapeños to the griddle or grill-safe pan or skillet to blister. Blistering the jalapeños will take out some of the heat.
- Once onions and jalapeños are done, chop them for serving.
- Chop the avocado slices.
- To assemble, layer 2 tortillas with eggs and beans on a plate. Top with a generous amount of cheese, grilled onions, salsa, sour cream, chopped avocado and cilantro.
- Enjoy with your favorite hot sauce or chopped jalapeños.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.