1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
0.6 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
3.5 tsp. baking soda
1 stick butter
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1 large jalapeño (chopped)
2 sticks butter (melted)
0.25 cup honey
splash of bourbon (optional)
1 Food Prep
Combine all of your dry cornbread ingredients into a large mixing bowl. We recommend sifting the dry ingredients for a smoother batter.
- Then, add all of your wet ingredients to the bowl and mix them together until they’re evenly combined. Pour your batter into a greased cast-iron skillet.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 400°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When your grill reaches 400ºF, place your skillet with the batter on the middle rack of the grill if possible to allow for even air flow and close the lid. Bake for 25 minutes at 400°F.
- While your cornbread is baking, make the honey butter by whisking together the following ingredients: 2 sticks of butter (melted), ¼ cup of honey and a splash of bourbon (optional).
- Remove your cornbread from the grill once it has a golden brown exterior.
- Drizzle on the honey butter, slice and serve!
Recipes containing alcohol are intended for those 21 years of age and older only. Please drink responsibly.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.