1.25 lb. ground dark turkey meat
8 thin slices smoked gouda or Havarti cheese
4 burger buns (Hawaiian or potato buns preferred)
shredded iceberg lettuce, for garnish
KC Masterpiece® Barbecue Sauce
1 tsp. granulated garlic
0.5 tsp. onion powder
0.5 tsp. paprika
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 Food Prep
Divide the turkey meat into 4–5 oz. balls. Place each ball between two sheets of plastic wrap. Smash each ball with the bottom of a pan to make even, thin patties about ½” wider than your buns.
- Refrigerate your wrapped patties for at least 10 minutes while you light the grill.
- Stir together your seasoning ingredients. Season both sides of each patty with your seasoning mix.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: Charcoal: We recommend Kingsford® Signature Flavors Briquets with Garlic, Onion and Paprika to enhance your burger’s smoky flavors. Alternatively you can add 5–6 Kingsford® Signature Flavors Flavor Boosters with Garlic, Onion and Paprika to your Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets and still get a smoky flavor boost.
Pellets: Kingsford® Signature Flavors Pellets with Garlic, Onion and Paprika are perfect to add to this recipe.
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: Charcoal: 450°F (High Heat) / Pellets: 400°F
3 The Cook
- Brush a cast iron pan or skillet with oil and place it on the grill to heat up.
When the pan and grill are preheated, place 2–4 patties at a time in the pan.
Sear for about 1–2 minutes and flip over. As soon as you flip the patties over, place a slice of the cheese on each patty to melt and cook for another 1–2 minutes until they reach an internal temperature of 165ºF. Remove and repeat with your remaining burgers.
Toast the buns on the cooler side of the grate for 2 to 3 minutes until toasted and warm.
To assemble, stack 2 burger patties on top of each other and place them on the bottom halves of your buns. Top it off with shredded lettuce. Spread barbecue sauce on the top halves of your buns, close the burgers and serve immediately.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.