2 lobster tails
1 Food Prep
First, cut lengthwise down the center to split the lobster meat in half. You can split them completely, or not cut all the way through the bottom shell, so you can lay the tail flat like a book.
- Next, prepare some melted, unsalted butter for basting. You want to baste before, during and after placing the tails on the grill.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets. Consider adding your favorite smoking wood, like Kingsford™ BBQ Smoking Chips or Chunks to the coals, or, as an alternative, Kingsford® Charcoal with Applewood pairs well with lobster.
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 400°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Baste the lobster tails with the butter before placing them on the grill.
- Place the lobster tail meat-side down on the hot side of the grill, and allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the meat begins to turn white and becomes slightly charred.
- Flip the lobster tail shell-side down and move it to the cooler side of the grill.
- Baste the lobster meat with the butter again, then cover the grill.
- Allow the lobster tail to cook for another 4-6 minutes, until the shell is red and the meat is white and slightly firm, and reaches an internal temperature of 145°F on a digital meat thermometer.
- Remove the lobster tails from the grill and plate.
- Brush the lobster meat again with butter and serve immediately.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.