2 lobster tails, approximately 8 oz. each
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 top-loading hot dog rolls
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and divided
2 tbsp. minced fresh herbs; parsley, tarragon, chives
1 tsp. Old Bay or similar spice blend
2 tsp. lemon zest
3 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
0.5 cup mayonnaise
pinch cayenne or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
1 Food Prep
First, combine the ingredients for the seasoned butter in a small bowl. Mix it well and set aside. Next, in a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the mayo mix. Stir well, taste for seasoning and set aside. Finally, with a pair of heavy-duty kitchen shears, cut lengthwise down the center of the lobster tails’ top shell to split the lobster meat in half. You can choose to split them completely or leave the bottom shell intact. Season with salt and pepper.
2 Grill Prep
3 The Cook
Build a two-zone fire, placing preheatedKingsford® Original Charcoal
briquets on one half of the bottom grill grate and leaving the other side void. Replace the top grill grate and adjust the bottom vents to bring the grill temperature to approximately 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons butter, half of the herbs, Old Bay or similar seasoning, 1 teaspoon zest and 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and mix well. Set aside while you prepare the mayonnaise and lobster tails.
- In a medium bowl, combine the celery, mayonnaise, remaining lemon juice and zest and herbs and cayenne pepper. Stir well and taste for seasoning. Set aside.
- With a pair of heavy-duty kitchen shears, cut lengthwise down the center of the lobster tails’ top shell to split the lobster meat in half. You can choose to split them completely or leave the bottom shell intact. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place split lobster tails meat side down on the hot half of the grill. Grill the tails for approximately 2 minutes until the meat is lightly charred.
- Flip tails over and grill for another 4–5 minutes while periodically basting with the seasoned butter. When done, the shell will have a bright red hue and the meat will be white.
- If the lobster meat is still partially translucent, move to the cool side of the grill and cover until fully cooked.
- When done, remove the lobster tails from the grill and let cool. For your safety, please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures.
- Brush the rolls all over with the remaining butter. Place rolls onto the grill, cut side down, for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and brown the other sides.
Coarsely chop the lobster meat and gently combine in the bowl with the mayonnaise mixture. Fill the toasted rolls with the lobster salad and serve immediately.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.