16 asparagus spears
ground black pepper
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1 Food Prep
Prep your fresh asparagus by rinsing it under cold water and patting it dry with paper towels.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the tough, woody bottom portion of your asparagus spears, leaving the tender green stems. Give your asparagus a coat of olive oil and season it with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 400ºF (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your asparagus directly over the coals, setting them perpendicular to the grates so they don’t fall through. If you have one, you can use a grilling basket.
- For thick asparagus spears, grill them for 4 to 5 minutes, turning frequently until fork tender and slightly charred. Thinner spears will cook in 2 to 3 minutes. If your asparagus starts to become too charred for your liking, move them to the cooler side of the grate and allow them to cook through until fork tender.
- Once your asparagus is cooked, remove them from the grill and plate. Kick up the flavor by finishing your asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt. Shaved or freshly grated Parmesan is also a great way to jazz up any platter of grilled veggies.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.