4 all-beef hot dogs
4 hot dog buns
Hot Dog toppings
2 tbsp. yellow mustard
0.25 cup bright green sweet pickle relish
0.5 small white onion, diced
2 small Roma tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
4 dill pickle spears
pickled sport peppers, to taste
celery salt, to taste
1 Food Prep
First, butterfly the hot dogs by slicing them lengthwise without cutting all the way through.
- Next, get your hot dog toppings together so they’ll be ready when the hot dogs come off the grill. Cut the 2 small Roma tomatoes into thin wedges, and dice ½ of a small white onion.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 400°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Gently open the butterflied hot dogs and lay them flat on the grill.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until charred in spots and hot throughout.
- Grill the buns quickly over the coals for about 1 minute, until they’re lightly toasted.
- Place 1 hot dog on each bun and top with ¼ of the toppings. Add sport peppers to taste, then sprinkle with the celery salt.
- Repeat with the remaining hot dogs and serve immediately — hot off the grill.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.