10-inch Dutch Oven
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
4 cups whole peeled tomatoes crushed with juice (from can)
3 pound of your favorite brisket
1 Serrano pepper
1/3 cup chili powder
3 tbsp. Paprika
3 tbsp. Valentina’s Red Rub
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne
1 cup flour
3 oz. of water
1 Food Prep
Mix together your slurry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 350°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- Place your Dutch oven directly onto 5-8 coals. Then, add 10–15 coals around your Dutch oven. Add more coals as needed.
- Next, add your olive oil and onions to the Dutch oven. Sauté for 3 minutes to bring out the aroma.
- Add your crushed tomatoes and water and stir well. Then, add your favorite brisket and remaining chili ingredients and stir well. Cover your Dutch oven and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Next, add your slurry mixture to thicken your chili. Stir in and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove your Dutch oven from the coals and serve immediately.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.