8 slices white or wheat bread
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
0.5 cup caramelized onion (optional)
3 tbsp. store-bought mango chutney
1 Food Prep
Brush all of your bread slices with melted butter on both sides.
- Place half of your bread slices on a prep surface and divide the cheese among the bread. Top with 1–2 slices of tomato, season with salt and pepper and add onions, if desired.
- Spread the chutney on the remaining slices of bread and close the sandwiches, chutney side down.
- To grill, you can do one of three things:
- 1. Place your sandwich in a grill basket.
- 2. Tie your sandwich with kitchen twine like a present to hold it together.
- 3. Gently place your sandwich directly onto the grill. If you choose this option, it’ll be a little harder to flip, but will still work if you’re careful.
- Once you’ve made your pick, prep your sandwiches and your grill and get cooking
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Grill your sandwiches until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.