2 tomahawk steaks
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. salt
3 tbsp. black pepper
1 stick unsalted butter
garlic (to taste)
chives (minced, to taste)
rosemary (to taste)
1 Food Prep
Allow your steaks to get to room temperature before you coat your tomahawks with ground mustard as a binder.
- Then, in a small mixing bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients (garlic powder, salt, black pepper) to create your steak seasoning. Evenly coat your steak with the seasoning.
- Now, heat up your basting liquid ingredients on either the grill or stovetop
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Signature Flavors Flavor Boosters with Garlic, Onion and Paprika for a boost of flavor you can see, smell and taste.
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 500°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Sear your steaks for 1–1½ minutes on each side, while basting, until an internal temperature of 145°F is reached.
- Remove your steaks from the heat and let them rest for 5 minutes. Now you’re ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Recipe created by Rasheed Philips, owner of Philips Barbeque Co, on behalf of Kingsford and Masterbuilt
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.