golden yellow cake mix
2 tbsp. butter, 1 for the pan, one for on top of the batter
0.5 cup water
1.5 cups blueberries
1.5 cups strawberries (chopped with stems removed)
0.5 cup sugar
0.5 cup flaked sweetened coconut — ¼ for the berry mixture (¼ cup for the batter mixture)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lemon, used for the juice, plus zest
12″ cast iron skillet
1 Food Prep
Combine the cobbler filling ingredients, and let the berries macerate for 10 minutes.
- Next, mix the batter. Then add the coconut to the batter and mix until uniform in consistency.
- Now, coat a cast iron skillet with about 1 tbsp. of butter, so the cobbler doesn’t stick — you can also use coconut oil if you have it.
- Next, add the berry mixture, then add the batter.
- Finally, stir the berry and batter mixture with a spoon a few times so some of the berries can make it to the top, and place a tbsp. of butter on top of the batter.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 350°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place the cast iron skillet directly over the coals for 25 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling up and the cake has turned golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.