1 whole chicken
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. chicken seasoning
0.5 lemon, sliced
0.5 small onion, quartered
3 rosemary sprigs
1 Food Prep
First, remove any giblets from the chicken. Optionally, if you have time, place the chicken on a wire rack with a baking sheet underneath and allow it to dry in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours or overnight. This will further dry the chicken skin and promote browning.
- Next, brush the chicken skin with olive oil and lightly season the inside of the cavity, reserving the majority of the chicken seasoning for the skin. Stuff the chicken with lemon slices, onion and rosemary sprigs.
- Then, cross the two chicken legs and tie them together using butchers’ twine to secure them in front of the cavity for even cooking. Optionally, you can tuck the wings under the chicken by pushing the flats down toward the rear of the chicken and tucking them underneath.
- Finally, season the exterior of the chicken with the remaining chicken seasoning so it’s well covered.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Hardwood Pellets
- Temp: 225°(Low Heat) & 375°F (Medium Heat)
3 The Cook
Place the thermometer probe into the thickest part of the chicken breast without touching any bones and position it at the center of your pellet grill.
Smoke for 1 hour at 225°F.
Increase the heat on your grill to 375°F and continue roasting approximately 30-60 minutes, or until the white and dark meat reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Remove the chicken from the grill and allow it to rest for 15–20 minutes. Snip and discard the butchers’ twine, carve and enjoy.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.