1 boneless prime rib roast 4–6 pounds
8 cloves garlic, halved
0.3 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. black pepper
0.25 cup mayonnaise
1 Food Prep
Trim any excessive fat from the fat cap to less than ¼” on your roast and remove any silver skin. Using butcher’s twine, tie the meat every ¾” or so to make the meat more round than oval shaped. This will promote more consistent smoking and cooking.
- Dry brine your roast by sprinkling 3–4 tsp. of kosher salt on all sides of the meat. Allow your roast to rest covered in the refrigerator on a baking rack with a cookie sheet beneath it to catch any juices for 24–48 hours.
- If you like, you can also cut small slits in the surface of the meat 1–2” apart from each other and push garlic slivers into the slits.
- Once your roast is done brining, combine your seasoning paste ingredients in a small bowl then coat your roast with the paste.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Hardwood Pellets
- Temp: 250°F & 450ºF
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
Place the thermometer probe into the center of your roast and place it on a baking rack with a cookie sheet beneath it. Position the roast at the center of the pellet grill.
Smoke your roast until the internal temperature reaches 115°F. You’ll need about 30–45 minutes per lb.
Remove your roast from the pellet grill and raise the grill temperature to 450°F.
Once at temp, place your roast in the center of the grill and cook for another 15 minutes until your roast reaches an internal temperature of 125°F and the exterior has browned.
Remove your roast from the heat and allow it to rest until the internal temperature reaches 145°F. Slice and serve.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.