0.25 cup olive oil
0.25 cup lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
1 tsp. harissa paste, if desired, for heat
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
0.25 tsp. cinnamon
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1.5 lb. boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
12 wooden skewers, soaked for at least 20 minutes in water
9 dates, pitted and halved
1 red onion, cut into large dice (you want about 36 pieces total)
pomegranate molasses, for drizzling
chopped cilantro or fresh mint, for garnish
1 Food Prep
For your marinade, mix together your marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Add your marinade and lamb cubes to a resealable plastic bag and toss to coat evenly. Seal the bag and let your lamb marinate for at least 1–2 hours in the refrigerator. These are strong flavors so it’s best not to leave them overnight.
- If you’re using bamboo skewers, you’ll want to soak them in warm water for at least 1 hour beforehand.
- Remove the lamb from the marinade and thread it onto skewers — start with your lamb, followed by half of a date and a chunk of red onion. Repeat two more times and end with a piece of lamb.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your lamb kabobs on the grate directly over the coals and cook for about 8–10 minutes total, turning often, until the lamb is cooked through and the onions are slightly softened and charred.
- Remove your kabobs from the grill and drizzle with pomegranate molasses. Garnish with chopped cilantro or mint and serve immediately. Enjoy!
** Cooking times are approximate.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.