1.5 lb. large shrimp, shelled and deveined (at least 36)
24 small shishito peppers
12 wooden skewers, soaked
3 tbsp. white or yellow miso
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. mirin
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 Food Prep
In a large bowl, add the shrimp rub ingredients, and whisk until the sugar is dissolved and everything is well combined.
- Next, add the shrimp, and rub to coat evenly. Then, let sit for 20 minutes.
- If you’re using bamboo skewers, you’ll want to soak them in warm water for at least 1 hour beforehand.
- Finally, thread the skewers with 3 shrimp and 2 peppers each, starting and ending with shrimp.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill, and cook until the peppers are slightly charred and the shrimp is cooked through, about 2–3 minutes on each side. Don’t overcook your shrimp, they cook quickly. Fully cooked shrimp turn pinkish on the outside and white on the inside.
- When the shrimp reaches an internal temperature of 145°F on a digital meat thermometer, remove the shrimp skewers from the grill.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.