1.5 lb. tri tip roast
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
6 6-inch French rolls
3 tbsp. butter, melted
3 tbsp. mayonnaise
0.75 cup refried beans
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
0.5 cup crumbled queso fresco
1 tbsp. granulated garlic
1 tbsp. brown sugar
0.25 tsp. cayenne pepper
0.5 tsp. ground cumin
1 Food Prep
Season your tri tip well with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Stir together your seasoning ingredients, then coat the meat with your seasoning. Cover your tri tip and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Remove your tri tip from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking to bring to room temperature.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your tri tip on the grate directly over the coals and sear the outside, about 5–6 minutes per side, to get a good char. Once seared, move your tri tip away from the coals to the cooler part of the grill.
- Cook your trip tip for another 20 minutes or so, turning once more to grill both sides, until you reach an internal temperature of 145°F. Cook your tri tip more or less depending on your desired doneness.
- Once ready, remove your tri tip from the grill and allow it to rest for 10–20 minutes.
- While the meat is resting, prepare your rolls by brushing the melted butter on both sides and grilling for 2–3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Once rested, thinly slice your tri tip against the grain, reserving some of the juices.
- To assemble your sandwiches, spread one side of each roll with the mayonnaise and the other side with the refried beans. Divide the desired amount of sliced steak over the half with the beans, and drizzle over some of the meat juices. Layer with lettuce, tomato, avocado and queso fresco. Top with the other half of the rolls and serve immediately.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.