4 zucchini, cut lengthwise
1 lb. Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
16 oz. mozzarella cheese
1 small bunch of basil leaves, chopped for garnish
1 Food Prep
Slice the tips off of your zucchini, then slice them lengthwise. Remove the inner part of your zucchini with a spoon or melon baller so there’s room to add the stuffing.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Charcoal with Hickory to add an authentic, smoky wood flavor that’ll compliment this dish perfectly.
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 425°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate and griddle thoroughly. If you don’t have a griddle, you can use a grill-safe skillet or pan.
- Add your Italian sausage, garlic and tomatoes to a griddle or skillet placed over the coals, on the hotter side of your grill, stirring until cooked through. This should only take a few minutes.
- Scoop your cooked sausage mixture into the zucchini boats and place them on the cooler side of the grate, away from the coals.
- Top them off with mozzarella cheese, then cook your zucchini boats for an additional 10–15 minutes or until the cheese has melted, the zucchini is fork tender and the Italian sausage reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Garnish your zucchini boats with fresh basil and serve immediately.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.