6 tuna steaks
1 Food Prep
First, remove the tuna steaks from the refrigerator, and allow them to rest for 20 minutes before cooking.
- Next, remove the tuna steaks from the plastic wrap and lightly coat them with oil.
- Finally, season to taste with salt and pepper.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Professional Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 500° to 600°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place the tuna steaks on the grill, directly over the heat.
- Grill for 3 minutes on each side, or less, depending on your preference.
- Tuna should be firm with pink in the middle and reach an internal temperature of 145ºF on a digital meat thermometer.
- Serve them whole or slice into ¼” strips.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.