1 cup tomatoes, diced
0.5 cup red onions, diced
3 tbsp. chopped basil
4 portobello mushroom cap, stems and dark gills removed
0.5 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
4 cup arugula
0.5 cup feta cheese
Balsamic-Miso Pan Sauce
0.25 cup balsamic vinegar
0.25 cup white miso (To substitute soy sauce in place of white miso, only use half the amount of soy sauce)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 Food Prep
First, in a small saucepan, combine the ingredients for the balsamic-miso pan sauce, and heat over medium heat until the liquid starts to boil, about 5 minutes. Then, remove the pan from the heat and pour ¼ cup of the mixture into a small bowl, reserving it for the salad dressing.
- Next, in a small bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, onions and basil.
- Finally, apply 1 tbsp. olive oil to the outside of each portobello mushroom cap, and season them with salt.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 400°F (Medium Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Grill the mushroom caps directly over the coals for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove them from the grill and fill each cap with ⅓ cup of the tomato, onion and basil mixture. Drizzle generously with balsamic-miso pan sauce.
- Next, put the stuffed mushroom caps on the cooler side of the grate, away from the coals. Close the grill lid and cook until the mushrooms soften, about 15 minutes.
- For the salad dressing: Whisk ¼ cup of olive oil and the lemon juice into the ¼ cup of reserved balsamic-miso pan sauce.
- Make 4 individual beds of arugula. Place a stuffed mushroom cap on top of each bed.
- Top with feta cheese and drizzle with the salad dressing.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.