1 flank steak
2 tbsp. avocado oil (or high heat oil)
Flank Steak Seasoning
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry oregano
1 tsp. granulated garlic
0.125 tsp. cumin powder
0.75 cup parsley (finely chopped)
1 pinch red pepper flakes
5 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 tsp. dry oregano
2.5 tbsp. red wine vinegar
0.5 cup olive oil
1 Food Prep
Mix together your flank steak seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Rub oil on both sides of your flank steak and then evenly sprinkle your seasoning mixture on both sides.
- Place your flank steak, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This will help your dry brine to fully permeate your steak, enhancing your flavors.
- Before grilling, remove your flank steak from the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, combine all of your chimichurri ingredients together in a mixing bowl, and mix until well combined. Refrigerate your chimichurri until ready to serve.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Professional Charcoal Briquets for their high heat, low ash performance.*n
*Compared to Kingsford® Original Charcoal
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 500°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place your flank steak on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until it reaches your desired doneness.
- Then, remove your flank steak from the grill and place it into a pan. Cover it and let it rest for at least 7 minutes before slicing. Serve your flank steaks sliced, against the grain, with chimichurri on the side or drizzled on top.
** Cooking times are approximate and based on a 1” steak, including sear time.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.