1.75 lb. flank steak
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
3 large bell peppers, mix of red and green, cut into 4 large pieces each
1 large onion, cut into ½-inch thick slices
12 fajita-size tortillas, warmed
optional garnishes: sour cream, guacamole, ranch dressing, chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 small navel orange
1 tbsp. Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing, Seasoning & Recipe Mix Shaker
1 tsp. cumin
0.25 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
1 Food Prep
Place the flank steak into a large, resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over the steak. Then, coat the steak with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- Next, cut 3 large bell peppers into 4 large pieces each.
- Then cut 1 large onion into ½” slices.
- Finally, toss the peppers and rub the onions with olive oil and season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Place the steak and the vegetables on the grill.
- Cook the steak, flipping once, for about 7–10 minutes total, depending on thickness and desired doneness.
- When the steak has reached preferred doneness, let it rest for a least 5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- Let the vegetables cook until charred and softened, flipping as needed, about 10–12 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and chop them into slices.
- Serve the vegetables and the steak with warm tortillas and optional garnishes as desired.
** Cooking times are approximate and based on a 1” steak, including sear time.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.