2 large tomatoes, sliced
8 thin chicken breast cutlets
4 ciabatta rolls
12 thin slices fresh mozzarella
basil leaves, for garnish
0.5 cup olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
0.25 tsp. dried sage
2 cloves garlic, grated
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 Food Prep
First, whisk the marinade/dressing ingredients into a large bowl, and then season to taste with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Next, toss half the dressing with the tomatoes, and marinate the chicken in the other half for 20–30 minutes. You can also do this ahead of time and keep the marinade/dressing in the refrigerator for several hours.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Signature Flavors Briquets with Basil, Sage and Thyme or Kingsford® Signature Flavors Pellets with Basil, Sage and Thyme
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Add the chicken to the grill and discard the marinade. Cook, turning once, until cooked through with visible grill marks, about 4–6 minutes total, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F on a digital meat thermometer.
- Brush the rolls with the remaining 2 tbsp. of olive oil, and place them on the grill to toast until golden.
- To assemble, place the chicken on the rolls and top each with 3 slices of the fresh mozzarella. Divide the tomato slices between the sandwiches and spoon any leftover dressing (from the tomatoes) over the top.
- Garnish with basil, if desired, and close the sandwiches. Serve immediately.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.