6 ahi tuna steaks ¾–1 inch thick
Cantaloupe and Pineapple Salsa
1 cup diced cantaloupe
2 tsp. minced jalapeño peppers
2.5 tbsp. lime juice
salt to taste
0.25 cup chopped cilantro
0.5 cup diced pineapple
0.5 cup diced red onion
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce
0.25 cup coarse ground black pepper
0.25 tsp. garlic salt
0.75 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Food Prep
First, combine the cantaloupe and pineapple salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and toss until mixed. Add salt to taste. The salsa can be served at room temperature or refrigerated until ready to use.
- Next, in a small bowl, add the pepper paste ingredients and blend until the mixture forms a paste. Then, coat the tuna steaks evenly with the pepper paste.
- Finally, wrap each steak individually with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Professional Charcoal Briquets for their high heat, low ash performance.* n
* Compared to Kingsford® Original Charcoal
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 500°F to 600°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the tuna steaks from the plastic wrap and place on the grill, directly over the heat.
Grill for 3 minutes on each side. Tuna should be firm with pink in the middle and reach an internal temperature of 145° on a digital meat thermometer.
- To serve, slice the tuna into ¼” strips and top with a generous amount of salsa.
Recipe created by World Champion Pitmaster, Chris Lilly on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.