For the onions
1 red onion, thinly sliced
0.5 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
1.5 tsp. kosher salt
For the burger
0.5 small yellow onion, finely minced
1 cup loosely packed parsley, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 lb. ground chicken (mix of light and dark meat, if possible)
1.25 tsp. kosher salt
0.5 tsp. paprika
0.25 tsp. ground cumin
0.5 tsp. allspice
0.5 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 dash cinnamon
6 buns, lightly toasted if desired (can substitute pita bread)
Butter lettuce and tzatziki
1 Food Prep
To start, prepare your pickled onions. Place your sliced red onions into a bowl or jar.
- Then, in a measuring cup, combine 1 cup of hot or water with the apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir to dissolve.
- Pour your mixture over the onions, making sure they’re completely covered and let them sit for 1 hour.
- You can store your onions for up to 3 weeks. You likely won’t need them all for this recipe, but they’re delicious on sandwiches, salads and many other dishes.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Original Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Use your hands to blend all of the burger ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Carefully form your patties into 4–5 oz. patties, wetting your hands or using wax paper if necessary to prevent sticking.
- The patties will be soft, so gently place them on the grate directly over the coals and cook, turning only once, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. This should take about 12–15 minutes total.
- Toast the buns on the cooler side of the grate for 2 to 3 minutes until toasted and warm.
- To assemble your burgers, place your patties on the bottom halves of the buns. Top with lettuce, pickled onions and tzatziki sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.