2 pieces 12 oz. ribeyes
2 medium sweet white onions
1 bundle of rosemary
1 tbsp. butter, cubed
fresh ground black pepper
0.5 cup salted butter
0.5 cup blue cheese
1 fresh lime
pinch of cayenne
0.5 tsp. paprika
0.5 tsp. garlic powder
1 Food Prep
First, we recommend you dry each ribeye steak well, salt generously on all sides with kosher salt and put on a wire rack. Let them sit in the fridge exposed, for a day or two, to dry out.
- Next, cut an X along the top of each medium-size sweet onion, going ⅓ of the way down. Stuff the X of each onion with a couple sprigs of rosemary, 1 tbsp. of butter cubed and a healthy pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Then wrap the onions in aluminum foil.
- Now, get your marinade ingredients ready, and set aside.
- When you’re ready to cook, season the ribeye steaks lightly with kosher salt, black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Professional Charcoal Briquets for their high heat, low ash performance.*n
*Compared to Kingsford® Original Charcoal
- Method: Direct-Heat Grilling
- Temp: 600°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Toss the foil-wrapped onions on the grill, and turn every 5 to 7 minutes. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- On the grill, heat the ingredients for the marinade in a medium-size cast iron skillet, and whisk together well.
- Before grilling the steaks, drizzle each steak on both sides with the marinade.
- Grill the steaks for 5 minutes on each side, basting with the marinade each time you flip them. Then, discard any remaining marinade.
- Garnish the steaks with cubed butter, blue cheese crumbles, fresh rosemary and a squeeze of lime.
- Remove the caramelized onions from the grill and cut or tear them into hearty chunks, then serve them with the steaks.
** Cooking times are approximate and based on a 1” steak, including sear time.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.