2 txuleta (T-bone steaks), about 1½-inches thick
coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 red peppers, halved and seeded
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 Food Prep
About 1–2 hours before cooking, take the steaks out of the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature.
- 30 minutes before cooking, season the steaks well with salt.
- Right before grilling, rub the steaks with cracked pepper and some olive oil.
2 Grill Prep
- Fuel: We recommend Kingsford® Professional Charcoal Briquets
- Method: Two-Zone Method
- Temp: 450°F (High Heat)
Carefully hold your hand about 5” to 6” above the grate, and refer to the temperature settings below:
• High Heat (450° to 550°F):
2 to 4 seconds
• Medium Heat (350° to 450°F):
5 to 6 seconds
• Low Heat (250° to 350°F):
8 to 10 seconds
Make sure your clothing doesn’t touch the grate, and always move your hand away from the heat before you feel discomfort.
When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
3 The Cook
- When you’re at temp, put cooking oil on a folded paper towel. Grab the oiled paper towel with long-handled tongs and oil the grate thoroughly.
- Rub the red pepper halves with olive oil, and place them on the cool side of the grate. Cook until the skins are blackened, about 8–10 minutes.
- Cover and let the peppers rest for at least 10 minutes, then scrape off and discard the skins, and cut the peppers into thin strips.
- Warm any remaining olive oil in a pan over the cooler side of the grate. Add the garlic and peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have come together, then set aside.
- Place steaks on the grill, directly over the coals, and cook for about 5–7 minutes per side for medium rare/medium — when they reach an internal temperature of 145°F on a digital meat thermometer.
- Remove the steaks from the heat. Cut the steaks off along the bone, and then cut them into thin strips.
- Finish with coarse sea salt and serve with the red peppers.
** Cooking times are approximate and based on a 1” steak, including sear time.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
Light your fire with all new Kingsford® products.
Explore our full range of charcoal, pellets and flavor boosters to take your grilling to the next level.