Skip to content
Smoked Turkey Leg Birria Tacos
- turkey legs
- dried ancho chiles (seeds removed)
- dried guajillo chiles (seeds removed)
- cup vegetable oil
- fresh jalapeño, quartered
- chipotle pepper
- teaspoon dried thyme
- teaspoons marjoram
- teaspoons dried oregano
- bay leaves
- tablespoon ground cumin
- teaspoon ground ginger
- cinnamon stick
- cloves garlic, whole
- large onion, cut into large chunks
- Salt, to taste
- red tomatoes, quartered
- ounces chicken stock
- corn tortillas
- lime, cut into 4-6 wedges
- bunch cilantro, chopped
- white onion, finely chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Set Masterbuilt Gravity Seriesto 450°F.
- Season turkey legs with barbecue rub or chili powder and grill them hot and fast on all sides but still raw in the middle, about 8-10 minutes.
- Separately in a large aluminum tray, add chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, onions, tomatoes,jalapeños, chipotle peppers, dried chilies, and all dried spices into the vessel. Stir and mix together until well incorporated.
- Remove turkey legs and reduce Gravity Seriesto300°F.Add grilled legs to the braising mixture, making sure the legs areas submerged as possible.
- Smoke at 300°F for 2 hours,or until the leg meat easily pulls from the bone.
- Remove from the Gravity Seriesand allow the legs too cool until they can be easilyworked with.
- Pull off the meat from the legs and shred
- Increase Gravity Seriesto 350°F. Strain the braising liquid into a heat-safe pot. Place the pot directly on the grates and reduce liquid by half, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour a small amount of liquid into the shredded turkey and set aside.
- Add a cast iron pan or skillet onto your Gravity Series. Dip your corn tortilla into the braising liquid and add directly to thecast iron pan or skillet.
- Scatter the entire tortilla with cheese. assemble turkey meat, cilantro,and white onion on one side of the taco. Fold taco over itself.
- Crisp on both sides, about 3-5 minutes, and remove from Gravity Seriesto a plate.Garnish with cilantroand serve immediately with a side of braising liquid for dipping.
Credit: Recipe created by Jean-Paul Bourgeois on behalf of Kingsford and Masterbuilt