Sam Jones BBQ Smoked Turkey Breast with Rub Potion Number NineWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 8–10 Servings
- Cook time: 2 h 30 m
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup whole turkey breast, 4 to 5 pounds, skin removed
- 1 cup paprika
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup salt
- ¼ cup ground black pepper
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- ¼ cup ground mustard
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- Build a two-zone charcoal fire for both direct and indirect cooking using Kingsford® Charcoal by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Preheat the smoker to 250°F.
- In a bowl, mix rub ingredients together with a whisk or with gloved hands.
- Sprinkle the turkey breast generously on all sides with 2 tablespoons of the rub. Remaining rub can be stored in a sealed container in a cool, dry place for several months. Toss generously on any BBQ, except the whole hog.
- Place the breast on the grill over indirect heat and cook it for about 90 minutes, or until it gets the right mahogany color and the internal temperature reaches 130°F.
- Wrap the turkey tightly in foil, flip it over, and place back in the smoker until the internal temperature is 165°F, about 45 to 60 minutes longer.
- Remove the foil and retain the collected juices. Let the turkey rest for 30 minutes. Slice, then pour the collected juices over the sliced meat.
- Sam Jones Tip:
Any remaining rub can be stored in a sealed container in a cool, dry place for several months.
- Credit: Recipe created by Sam Jones of Sam Jones BBQ on behalf of Kingsford Charcoal
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.