Skip to content
Red, White & Blue Cast Iron Cobbler
Write a Review
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 1½ cups strawberries (chopped with stems removed)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flaked sweetened coconut – ¼ for the berry mixture (¼ cup for the batter mixture)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon, used for the juice, plus zest
- 2 tablespoons butter, 1 for the pan, one for on top of the batter
- Jiffy golden cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water
- Combine the blueberries, strawberries, coconut, lemon juice, zest, sugar, vanilla and let the berries macerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the batter with the egg and water. Add the coconut to the batter and mix until uniform in consistency.
- Next, make sure your grill or oven is preheated to 350°F. If cooking on a grill create an indirect zone by pushing the coals to one side for baking the cobbler (direct = cooking on top of the coals, indirect = cooking on the other side where there are no coals).
- Coat the cast iron skillet with butter (approx. 1 tbsp worth) so the cobbler does not stick. (You can also use coconut oil if you have it). Add the berry mixture. Next, add the batter. Stir the berry and batter mixture with a spoon a few times so some of the berries can make it to the top.
- Bake on the grill or in the oven for 25 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling up and the cake has turned a golden color.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm with ice cream. Warning, this cobbler is supremely addictive! You will have multiple servings!
Credit: Recipe created by Grill Girl Robyn Lindars on behalf of Kingsford Charcoal