Pork PozoleWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 6-8 Servings
- Cook time: 1 h 30 m
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- 2 ounces dried guajillo chili
- 2 ounces dried ancho chili
- 2 ounces chipotle in adobo
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 6-8 tablespoons salt
- 3 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1-2 quarts canned hominy
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 4-6 limes quartered
- 1 small head red cabbage shredded
- 1 small head green cabbage shredded
- corn tortillas
- Fire up the charcoal grill using Kingsford charcoal and heat to 400°F.
- In large 12 inch Dutch oven fill with 4 quarts of water and place over coals.
- Next, heat cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Remove stems from chilies and roast in cast iron skillet with garlic and chipotle in adobo.
- Cook and stir often for about 3-5 min then add 2-3 cups of water. Allow to sit over heat for a few more minutes, then remove from grill.
- Next, rub pork with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill each side for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and cube up into thick chunks.
- Then while pork is cooking,blend up chilies and push through strainer in Dutch oven.
- Add pork, bay leaf, oregano, salt and cumin.
- Add rinsed hominy stirring occasionally and simmer for 1 hour.
- Warm corn tortillas and serve pozole in a bowl topped with garnishes and squeeze of lime.
- Credit: Recipe created by Miguel Vidal, owner of Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ, on behalf of Kingsford
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.