Not Your Average Jalapeño Poppers
- Yields: 6 Servings
- 10 fresh jalapeños, seeded and halved lengthwise (Add a portion of the seeds to stuffing mixture for extra spicy heat)
- 1 can Rotel, drained and placed on paper towels to soak up any extra juices and par dry (too much juice will compromise the stuffing consistency)
- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- ½ lb your favorite ground sausage (we love green onion sausage!)
- ½ lb thin sliced bacon
- fresh ground black pepper
Combine cream cheese, Rotel, salt, pepper to taste.
Fill jalapeños with cream cheese mixture.
Form small log with ground sausage, placing it onto cream cheese mixture.
Place bacon strip on cutting board and press/stretch out gently with hands. (Thinning out bacon will ensure a crispy grilled product and make bacon go further. Depending on size of jalapeños you may only use 1/2 a strip per popper.
Wrap jalapeños with bacon, making sure your bacon strip ends on the bottom (jalapeño side).
Grill over your favorite Kingsford® flavor briquet until bacon is crispy and meat is cooked through. Once you place your jalapeño poppers (jalapeño side down) on grill, LEAVE IT ALONE until your bacon gets a solid seal. Rotating your poppers too early will make your bacon come apart. If you create a two-zone fire (placing Kingsford® briquets to one side of your grill) you can control your cooking temperature. Shifting poppers around (not turning over) as needed to ensure bacon is crisping up evenly.