Matcha Steak Kyoto KabobsWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 12 Servings
- Cook time: 8 minutes
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1½ teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari
- ¼ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1½ pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 green onions, each cut into 8 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 12 wooden skewers, soaked for at least 20 minutes in water
- flaky sea salt and matcha powder, for sprinkling
- To make the marinade, mix the matcha powder, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar together until well blended. Toss with the steak cubes in a Glad® zipper bag and seal tightly. Let it marinate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight (the longer it marinates, the more pronounced the matcha flavor will be).
- When ready to grill, build a charcoal fire on an outdoor grill for both direct and indirect cooking using Kingsford® briquets by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Close the grill lid and preheat to medium-high heat (about 450°F). Brush grill grate with oil.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and thread onto skewers — use about 4 pieces of steak per skewer, alternating with two pieces of green onion threaded between each piece of steak. Place kebabs on grill and cook for about 7–8 minutes total, slightly longer if you want the meat more well done. Remove from grill and sprinkle with sea salt and a little more matcha powder, if desired. Serve hot and enjoy!
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.