Skip to content
Lollipop Chicken Wings
Write a Review
- 12 chicken drumettes
- ¼ cup Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub
- 2 cups Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory Barbecue Sauce
- ¼ cup cherry juice
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. apple jelly
- 1 disposable aluminum half pan
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking, dividing pre-heated Kingsford® charcoal briquets between the two sides of the grill’s charcoal grate while leaving the center empty. Replace the main cooking grate and adjust the bottom vents to bring the temperature to 350°F.
- Using a paring knife or kitchen shears to cut the meat and skin away from the bone on the joint end of the drumette. Push the meat up and away from the joint to expose the bone and create a ball of meat at the top (i.e., lollipop). Season chicken lollipops well with Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce Mix and Dry Rub.
- Create a grilling rack for the lollipop chicken drumettes by making 12 small “x” shaped incisions in the bottom of a disposable aluminum half pan with a paring knife. Invert the pan and gently push the bone end of the lollipops through each “x” so that the meat rests on the pan (note: alternatively the lollipops can be set directly on the grill grate, though the rack helps for more even cooking).
- Place the grilling rack in the center of the grill’s main cooking grate with the charcoal on either side. Cover the grill and allow the lollipops to cook for approximately 40 minutes until cooked through.
- Place a small saucepan on the grill directly above the charcoal. Add barbecue sauce, cherry juice, honey and apple jelly and stir to combine. Warm the sauce for approximately 5 minutes, stirring periodically until it has thickened.
- Brush the chicken with barbecue sauce, cover the grill, and allow them to cook an additional 2–3 minutes until the sauce has set and become tacky. Remove the chicken lollipops from the grilling rack and serve immediately.