Skip to content
Grilled Pizza Margherita
Write a Review
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil + 1 Tbsp. for the sauce
- 28 ounce can peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 pound sliced fresh mozzarella
- 4-6 leaves fresh basil, chopped or cut into thin ribbons
- Stand mixer with dough hook
- KettlePizza Oven insert for grills with pizza stone and pizza peel
- Combine sugar, warm water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixture fitted with a dough hook and let it stand for 5-10 minutes until foam starts to form on the top. Add 1 cup of flour along with the salt and olive oil to the stand mixer bowl and turn the mixer on low. Continue to add flour until the dough forms in to ball. Remove the dough from the mixer and place in a large greased bowl. Cover with a moist towel and allow the dough to sit for approximately 1 hour until it doubles in size. Note: Alternatively you can use fresh premade dough from your local grocer or pizza shop.
- Prepare KettlePizza Oven Insert according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place San Marzano tomatoes in a medium saucepan and crush the tomatoes either by hand or with a potato masher. Place the saucepan on the grill and add the remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil, minced garlic, and dried Italian seasonings to the crushed tomatoes. Allow the sauce to simmer for approximately 30 minutes until it has begun to thicken. Remove the sauce from the grill, place the pizza stone on the grill, and adjust the bottom vents to bring the grill temperature to high.
- Place the dough on a lightly dusted surface and begin to roll it out in to a 14-16 inch circle. Lightly flour a pizza peel and slide it under the dough. Alternatively, you can place the pizza on a pizza pan.
- Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the top of the dough then add slices of fresh mozzarella.
- Slide the pizza onto the pizza stone and allow the pizza to cook for approximately 6 to 8 minutes until the crust is nicely browned and the cheese has begun to bubble.
- Remove pizza from the grill. Top pizza with fresh basil then slice and serve.