Grilled Jalapeno Cheese Grits with Sugar-Rubbed Bacon
- Yields: 6-8 Servings
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/3 cup half & half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and deveined
- 16 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- In a medium saucepan, combine the half & half and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat on the stovetop or portable stove. Remove from the heat and stir in the grits, cheddar and Monterey jack cheese. Cover pan and let the al dente grits cool, about 45 minutes.
- Fill the cavity of each jalapeno pepper half with a spoonful of grits, even with the edge of the pepper. Wrap each pepper with 1 strip of bacon and tuck the ends.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, chili powder, and cumin. Season all sides of the bacon wrapped peppers with the seasoning.
- Put the jalapenos over indirect heat, away from the coals, close the grill lid, and cook the until the bacon is crisp and brown, about 35-40 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve hot.
- Credit: Recipe created by world champion pitmaster Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.