Grilled Flank Steak Sandwich with Tomatillo Salsa VerdeWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 6 Servings
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 package Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion peeled, coarsely chopped
- 12 fresh tomatillos peeled, rinsed well
- 1½ pounds flank steak
- 2 cloves garlic peeled, smashed
- 6 hamburger buns
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Kingsford® Charcoal with Mesquite
- Salsa Verde
- Place the tomatillos, onion and garlic on a lightly oiled baking sheet and grill over Kingsford® Charcoal with Mesquite, turning often, until the onion is crispy and tomatillos have burst — about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill to cool. Once cool, place the ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor and puree until desired consistency. This can be done up to three days in advance if kept chilled in an air-tight container.
- Place the flank steak on a sheet of GLAD Press'n Seal® large enough to cover the steak once folded. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Liberally dust each side of the steak with Hidden Valley® Ranch dry seasoning mix, then sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if using. Wrap tightly in the GLAD Press'n Seal® and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before grilling over Kingsford® Charcoal with Mesquite. Unwrap the steak and grill over medium heat for five to seven minutes on each side or until you reach an internal temperature of 150°F — allow the steak to rest covered for 5 minutes. Lightly toast the hamburger rolls. Serve the steak sliced over the rolls generously topped with the salsa verde.
- Mesquite provides just the right touch of smoke to round out the tartness of the tomatillos.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.