Grilled Fish Tacos with Smoky Lime Crema and Spicy SlawIf you’re at a ballgame in San Diego, you just might spot more fish tacos than hot dogs in the stands. America was first introduced to this south-of-the-border creation by Baja surfers, and it quickly became the go-to meal for hungry beachgoers throughout Southern California.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Smoky Lime Crema and Spicy SlawWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 8 Servings
- Cook time: 5–6 minutes
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- ½ cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups coleslaw mix or shredded green cabbage
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 pound white flaky fish, such as mahi mahi
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- diced avocado, for garnish
- minced cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Build a charcoal fire for direct grilling using Kingsford® Original Charcoal, and preheat to 450°F. Lightly oil the grates to prevent sticking.
- Whisk together the crema or sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- To make the slaw, toss the coleslaw mix or cabbage with the jalapeño pepper, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Season to taste with salt and plenty of pepper, adding more lime juice if desired.
- Rub the fish with the remaining olive oil (2 tablespoons), and season well with salt, pepper and the remaining smoked paprika (1 teaspoon). Place the fish onto the grill, flesh side down.
- Grill for 4 minutes on the first side; then flip and cook for another minute. For your safety, please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for five minutes. Flake with a fork. While the fish is resting, grill the tortillas over direct heat until they are warmed, about 30 seconds.
- To assemble, divide fish among the tortillas, and top with slaw and diced avocado. Drizzle with crema, and top with cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.