Skip to content
Grilled Buffalo Steaks with Honey Date Butter
Write a Review
- 4 buffalo strip loin steaks (cut 1½ inches thick)
- 2 teaspoons Steak Spice (recipe follows)
- drizzle of honey
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Honey Date Butter (recipe follows)
Honey Date Butter
- 1/3 cup coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup whole white peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 3 tablespoons coarse granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed or flaked ancho pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill seeds
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 1/2 cup pitted honey dates (approx. 6), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped, fresh sage
- splash of cognac
- pinch of nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Steak Spice Instructions:
Combine the salt, black peppercorns, white peppercorns, Szechuan peppercorns, onion flakes, garlic, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, ancho pepper and dill seeds. Fill a pepper grinder with as much of the Steak Spice as it can hold. Store remaining Steak Spice in a cool, dry space away from heat and light.
- Honey Date Butter Instructions:
To prepare the Honey Date Butter, mix the softened butter with the shallot pieces, dates, honey and sage in a bowl. Add a splash of cognac and season to taste with a pinch of nutmeg, kosher salt and black pepper. Mix and set aside at room temperature.
Season buffalo steaks with the Steak Spice, pressing the seasoning into the meat.
- Fire up your grill to 550–650°F (290-345°C).
- Toast the sliced almonds over the hot fire in a dry cast iron frying pan, shaking the pan to keep them from sticking and burning. Remove once toasted and set aside, keeping warm.
- Grill steaks directly over the fire with the lid open for 3–4 minutes per side for rare to medium-rare doneness. After the flip, spoon a small amount of the Honey Date Butter over the steaks and brush it into the meat. Remove buffalo steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes, tented loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Slice the steaks on the bias and serve with a little extra dollop of Honey Date Butter. Garnish with toasted sliced almonds and a drizzle of honey.
Credit: From Gastro Grilling by Ted Reader. Copyright © Ted Reader, 2014. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited.
Photography credit: Mike McColl