Greek Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki SauceIn the great city of Detroit, just a stone’s throw away from the stadium, you’ll find Greektown, a historic neighborhood with some of the best eats in Michigan. This hearty pita burger features a Greek-inspired combination of savory lamb and creamy tzatziki sauce.
Greek Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki SauceWrite a Review Read Reviews
- Yields: 4 Servings
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- ½ English (hothouse) cucumber, peeled, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 4 small round Greek-style pita breads (4 to 6-inch)
- ½ small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- To make the tzatziki sauce, shred the cucumber on the coarse side of a box grater. Place in a sieve or thin kitchen towel and squeeze the liquids out to drain. Place in a small bowl. Add the minced garlic, Greek yogurt, half of the chopped mint, and olive oil and blend well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour before serving.
- In a medium bowl, combine feta, olives, onion, oregano, remaining mint, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add lamb and mix lightly with your hands, taking care not to overwork.
- Form into 4 patties of even thickness. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the grill. Using Kingsford® Original Charcoal, build a fire for direct grilling and preheat to 400°F.
- Cook the burgers, flipping once, until cooked to your desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium. For your safety , please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures.
- When done, set burgers aside to rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the lamb burgers folded inside the pita bread with plenty of lettuce, a few slices of tomato and tzatziki sauce on top.
- Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of Major League Baseball. Visit MLB.com.
For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.